The Reading: 1
Corinthians 1:10-17
Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of
our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you should be in agreement and that there
should be no divisions among you, but that you should be united in the same
mind and the same purpose. For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people
that there are quarrels among you, my brothers and sisters. What I mean is that
each of you says, ‘I belong to Paul’, or ‘I belong to Apollos’, or ‘I belong to
Cephas’, or ‘I belong to Christ.’ Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified
for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized
none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say that you were
baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond
that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me
to baptize but to proclaim the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, so that
the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its power.
Questions
for Reflection
Today we probably don’t base divisions in our churches on
who was baptized by whom, but there are very real divisions nonetheless. One estimate is that there are over 22,000
denominations in the US. How do you feel
about people from other churches, whether they are from a different
denomination or whether they are simply from a different Episcopal church? Within Holy Cross, how do you feel about
those who usually attend 10 am service (if you are a 7:45 am person) or about
those who attend the 7:45 am service (if you are a 10 am person)? How do any differences you may notice compare
with the fact that we were all baptized into Christ’s body? How can we work to heal divisions in the
church?
To add a comment, click below
where it says "no comments" or "1 comment" or however many
it says currently.
No comments:
Post a Comment